Amboli


Amboli is a popular monsoon destination. I have come here is December and the place is deserted. There is a steady stream of traffic on the highway that runs through Amboli.

Hiranyakeshi Temple
Hiranyakeshi temple
Hiranyakeshi Temple: From the car park, it’s a leisurely 10 min walk to the temple. This temple has been built at the source of the Raghaweshwar river. Water has been channeled into a large pond and then it's allowed to drain out.

Raghaveshwar temple: A set of temples beside the river constitute the Raghaveshwar temple complex. One of the helpers in the temple tried to tell me with history of the temple, but I cannot understand Marathi. But I do manage to understand bits and pieces of what he says. There are many temples at Ragheweshwar. One temple is dedicated to snakes. The main temple is dedicated to Ganapathi and is situated on the opposite side of the river. There is a small bridge to reach the Ganapathi temple. The idol in this temple is supposed to be self-created (Swaymbhoo). Beside the river is another stone that has protrusions that apparently resemble a few Shiv Lingams. It does take a bit of imagination to see it! There are a few more stones that have some history or legend attached to it. Under the bridge is a rock whose indentations are supposedly, the lord’s footprints. It’s a pity that I cannot fully understand what I’m being told because I cannot understand Marathi. 

Raghaweshwar Temple
Raghaweshwar temple

It’s very peaceful in the temple complex as I’m the only visitor here. After washing my hands in the river, I sit on the steps beside the river bank. A cool wind adds to the tranquility of the place. I notice a snake swimming in the river and I beat a hasty retreat. I tell the temple helper that I’ve seen a snake in the river. He calmly tells me that the snakes are always present in the river and that they never hurt anyone. “That’s why we have a snake temple” he assures me.

Sirgaonkar point: This is a lookout point that has awesome panoramic views of the mountains. This is arguably the best viewpoint I have seen during this trip. The best time to visit this place is during the monsoon season when there are innumerable waterfalls. Today I spot 3 waterfalls.

Nagartas Waterfall
Nagartas waterfall
Nagastas waterfall: This is a small but deep waterfall beside the river. It is not possible to walk into the waterfall and take a dip. There is a statue beside the waterfall. Not sure who it is!

Madhavgnat Point: This is another lookout point. But after going to Sirgaonkar point, it’s a bit of a letdown J

Amboli falls: This is situated beside the main road and hence the most crowded spot. It’s possible to walk up to the falls and have a dip in it. And that’s exactly what I did!

Other Blogs from the series

Amboli Waterfalls
Amboli falls. This is beside the main road

Hiranyakeshi Temple
Spot to wash the cremation ashes. Inside Hiranyakeshi Temple

Hiranyakeshi Temple
There is a small cave beside Hiranyakeshi Temple

Hiranyakeshi Temple
The walking path to Hiranyakeshi Temple

Hiranyakeshi Temple
Water from within the mountain in channeled into this pond at Hiranyakeshi Temple

Sirgoankar point
Sirgaonkar point. There are innumerable waterfalls in monsoon season

Madhavghat point
Madhavghat Point

Raghaveshwar temple
Raghaveshwar temple

Raghaveshwar temple
The white markings are supposed to be Shiva Lingams. At Raghaveshwar temple

Raghaveshwar temple
Map of Raghaveshwar temple

Comments

Popular Posts