Khed and nearby areas

Khed Buddhist cave
Buddhist cave at Khed
Khed is a very small town in Ratnagiri district of Maharashtra. It's an ideal location to explore the nearby areas. I arrived here from Mahabaleshwar. I had spotted a hotel on the approach to Khed bus station. And that’s where I camped for the next two days.
Khed Buddhist cave
Khed Buddhist cave
After checking into the hotel, I went around to arrange a car for the next day’s trip. Everyone I spoke to informed me there are no cabs in Khed. Finally, I was directed to a small shop opposite the Khed bus station. The owner of the shop has a couple of private cars that he rents out on daily basis. I struck a conversation with the salesperson in the shop and he asked me to visit a nearby Buddhist caves. 

Khed Buddhist caves: These caves are barely 5 minutes walking distance away from the bus station. Outside the caves is a board that translates to “Ancient Buddhist cave”. I don’t think this cave complex even has a name. There are a few caves carved into the rock. The biggest one has been retrofitted with an iron grill. This has a stupa inside. The statue of Buddha in this cave appears to be a recent addition. The other caves are, sadly, rotting away. We have to learn to value, cherish and preserve of our history.

Ekvira temple
Ekvira temple
Ekvira temple: This small temple is situated on the outskirts of town. It's 15-20 minutes’ walk from Khed Bus station. Since I set out late, it had become dark when I reached the temple. A person from the house adjacent to the temple asked me where I was going. He then pointed to the temple priest’s residence further down the road. I was told take the key of temple from the priest and open the temple myself. I walked back to the priest’s house and he immediately gave me the key. He told me to lock the temple and hand back the keys whenever I’m finished! Trusting total strangers seems to be a way of life here. Ekvira temple is situated in very tranquil surroundings. It has become late and I’m forced to leave in a hurry. Wish I could spend more time here.
Unahavare hot spring
Unahavare hot spring

The next day, the owner of the small shop came with his car. He turned out to be a very knowledgeable person. I am happy to have him as my guide and chauffer. I started the trip at 0940 AM. Got back to Khed by 0615 PM. The trip cost me Rs 3500.

Unahavare: This little village is the setting for natural hot water springs. This village is off the beaten tourist path. I’m the only tourist here. Unlike many other hot water springs that I’ve been to, the smell of sulphur here is quite low. Natural hot water rising from the earth has been channeled into three concrete ponds. One pond has been enclosed and is exclusively for women. I took a bath in the open pool. The water was, as expected, very hot. 

Panhalekhaji caves
Panhalekhaji caves
Panhalekhaji caves: While my driver was waiting for me beside the hot water spring, the villagers had told him about a recently completed road to Panhalekhaji. This new road is not marked in Google maps. By enquiring with a few people on the road, we located the new stone and dirt road. The condition of the road was so pathetic that we doubted if our car would survive this road!! But we decided to give it a try. After a kilometer or two, the condition of the road turned out to be ‘bearable’. The road goes through picturesque rural Maharashtra. Enroute, I stopped beside a beautiful river and waded in it. The cool water of the river made quite a contrast to the hot water of Unahavare. The best pleasures of life simple and unplanned!

Panhalekhaji caves are a group of ancient manmade caves beside the Kodjai river. They were re-discovered only in 1972. The oldest caves were built in 2 AD. Gradually over the course of time, it expanded into 29 caves. These caves were used by Buddhists, Jains and Hindus. Every culture has left its mark on the cave. The best cave has to be the ‘Kailash’ cave; as it’s called today. Lookout for the scenes from Mahabharatam are the carved on the roof of this cave. Click here for Panhalekhaji caves

Keshavraj Temple
Keshavraj Temple

Keshavraj Temple: This temple is located on a small hillock near Dhapoli. The 15-minute walk to the temple is serene and picturesque. There were a few families going up to the temple. A couple of really old women who were being helped by younger family members. It’s their unwavering devotion that makes their pilgrimage to the mountain temple possible. The temple is set in a thickly wooded area. Water from the mountain has been channeled into a sprout in the temple.

Other blogs from the series

Keshavraj Temple
Keshavraj Temple
Keshavraj Temple
Keshavraj Temple: Water from the mountain is channeled into the sprout in the temple

Keshavraj Temple
Keshavraj Temple

The road to Keshavraj Temple

Keshavraj Temple
The trail to Keshavraj Temple

Khed buddhist caves
Khed buddhist caves

Khed buddhist caves
Khed buddhist caves: This cave is in dilapidated condition

Khed buddhist caves
Khed buddhist caves: The statue of Buddha is in this cave.

Khed Ekvira temple
Khed Ekvira temple

Khed Ekvira temple
Khed Ekvira temple

Unahavare hot water springs
Unahavare hot water springs

Unahavare hot water springs: Notice the rising steam
Unahavare hot water springs
Unahavare hot water springs: I took a bath in this tank

Waded in this river. The cool waters made quite a contrast to Unahavare hot water springs

Panhalekhaji caves
Panhalekhaji caves

Panhalekhaji caves
Panhalekhaji caves

Panhalekhaji caves
Panhalekhaji caves

Panhalekhaji caves
Panhalekhaji caves

Comments

Popular Posts