Karnataka Treks

Kabbae hills
Kabbe hills

Thadiyante mol trail
Thadiyante Mol Trek: Thadiyante Mol peak is the third highest peak in Karnataka. This starting point for the trek is located approx. 1.5 hr from Madikeri. The trail is very scenic and it should be on every visitors list. The tail is quite popular and expect many fellow trekkers enroute. The trek to the top takes about 2-3 Hrs.

Kabbae hills: It's one of the less popular day hikes around Coorg. The starting point for the trek starts about 45 Min from Virajpet. Make sure to register at the forest check post before starting the trail. 

Kabbae hills

This trail passes over grasslands. Come prepared with a sunhat and full sleeves to avoid sunstroke! Most people walk only until the rocky outcrop that offers spectacular views. But I decided proceeded further. I hiked beyond this rock and then decided to climb to the top of an adjacent mountain. This part of the trail was a bit "adventurous". I follow a small trail and soon realise that these are animal trails and not paths made by humans. The trail I'm following had large quantities elephant and other animal droppings. I make it to the top of the mountain. I'm exhilarated. I'm not sure if I'm permitted to be here!! I see another peak on the adjacent mountain and I want to go there. It’s getting late and I am forced to turn back. "Another day" I console myself on the way down.

Researchers at Kabbae hills

When entering the trekking zone, I enquired with the forest guards if there are wild animals. He said that leopards were likely as many dogs have gone missing. Thankfully, I did not run into any wild animals but I run into a forest researcher. His research was trying to establish how a particular species of tree (I forget it's name) is adapting to climate change. He was collecting leaf and tree trunk samples from different trees of the same species that were growing over 1000 M altitude. As he explained, a tree core with low density indicates a weak tree. A stronger tree has higher core density but the tree has to invest more resources into it. I wish him the best for his research. He tells me that Pushpagiri trek starting from Kukke Subramanyam is not to be missed. It’s been added to my “to do” list. 
Be sure to stop at Chellavara falls located a few kilometres from Kabbe hills. It's not possible to take a bath under the waterfall but there is a nice spot upriver. 

Thora trek
Tribal house
Thora trek: This is a very remote trek and a guide is highly recommended. After walking about 1.5-2 hrs the path leads to a remote hut in the jungle. The hut belongs to an indigenous tribal person. He is perhaps the last of the native forest dwellers who still reside in the jungles. Most have become “civilised” and have left their jungle lifestyle for good. 

Thora trek
Along the Thora trek

The plan was to camp beside his house for the night. Unfortunately, the forest department had suspended camping as there as a man-eating tiger is on the prowl. The tribal had left his house and temporarily relocated to the village in fear of the man-eating tiger. After a short break near this house, me and my guide decide to go further into the next peak. The trail lead us into the thick jungle. We are not so sure about the path and decided to turn back. I’m disappointed. I have missed a photo-op with a man-eating tiger. "Another day" I console myself on the way down.

There is a beautiful waterfall along the trail. The waterfall does not even have a name. Without a local knowledge its impossible to get there. The water flow is not much in Summer months. Behind the waterfall is a small shrine dedicated to the Hindu God Hanuman. This remote waterfall gets almost no visitors. It’s only me, nature and the waterfall. 

Thora waterfall
There is a small Hanuman shrine behind the waterfall
Thora trek
Thora trek
Thora waterfall
A Yogi beside Thora waterfall
Kabbae hills
Kabbae hills
Mushrooms growing on elephant dung. Kabbae hills

Chellavara falls
Took bath here. This location is upriver from Chellavara falls

Thora waterfall
Thora waterfall with the Hanuman temple behind it

Thora waterfall
The path to Thora waterfall
Kabbae hills

Comments

Popular Posts